Ordinary life is extraordinary...you just have to know what you are looking for

Monday, October 1, 2012

Sour Cream Banana Bread

My baby boy loves banana bread....but only if it's in the shape of a loaf (or so I thought).  Apparently a regular loaf pan-made banana bread is COMPLETELY different than the same banana bread recipe in a muffin tin.  It also does not make the grade in these cute mini-loaf pans.  So sorry.  What was I thinking?  No need to cry, now.... So for now, three of our happy family are, well, happy.  And one is longing for the days when banana bread came in it's originally presented format.  

Mashed banana, anyone?
Swirly batter.....
The key to this super moist, yummy recipe is sour cream...oooohhhh, aahhhhhh!
Cute mini pans, right?
They look "loafy" to me...
Loafly....I mean..lovely!
I loave taking pics of my loaves....
Yum.
Double yum! 
One of my cousins was staying with us for a few days and I thought I'd get up early and make a delicious banana loaf - hopefully drawing everyone out of bed to the wonderful scent coming from the kitchen.  My recipe box was hidden somewhere in the back of the pantry way behind all kinds of things that would have made a racket if touched, and that wasn't exactly the kind of wake up call I was going for so I desperately leafed through a couple of handy cook books I had access to and found this one.  We've never gone back.  It's from the "Breast Wishes from Breast Friends - Women working together for a cure" cook book and is now my new favourite one to make.

Sour Cream Banana Bread


  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1 cup sugar (I use organic coconut palm sugar, and about 3/4 cup instead of a full cup)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp Real Vanilla Extract
  • 1 1/2 cup flour (I use Organic Whole Wheat flour)
  • 1 tsp Baking Soda
  • 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
  • 1 cup Bananas, mashed
  • 1/2 cup Nuts, chopped (I don't add these as my family prefers it without plus the nut-free version can be taken to our nut-free school)
  • 1/2 Sour Cream (I have sometimes used Plain Yogurt)
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
  2. Cream butter with sugar
  3. Beat in eggs and vanilla
  4. In separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and salt
  5. Add dry ingredients to wet mixture and mix 
  6. Mix in bananas, nuts (if you are using them), and sour cream, 
  7. Pour into a greased loaf pan
  8. Bake for 1 hour
  9. Enjoy!
xo

Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment