Ordinary life is extraordinary...you just have to know what you are looking for

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Banana Oat Muffins

Sun-shiny muffin!  Yum!!
When I was pregnant with my first son, I bought something like 100 books....because I was a little excited.  Oh.  And a little crazy, too.  What?  You know - baby brain!  That's a 'thing', right?  Right? RIGHT?? Any-who, of the 100 books, I only found 2 to be remotely useful and one was the "Hospital for Sick Children's Better Baby Food" book.  And although both my boys no longer need all the purees and can successfully eat their "solids", I often refer to this book for some great recipes the whole family can still enjoy.  These muffins are one that I make and are both simple and tasty!  They can easily serve triple duty - as breakfast, as a great lunch-box addition or as a yummy after school snack!

Banana Oat Muffins

  • 1 cup All purpose Flour (I use organic unbleached)
  • 1/2 cup Whole Wheat Flour 
  • 1/2 cup Rolled Oats
  • 1 tsp Baking Powder
  • 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
  • 1/2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
  • 3/4 cup Buttermilk*
  • 1/4 cup Vegetable Oil (I use Coconut Oil)
  • 1 fresh Egg
  • 1/3 cup liquid Honey
  • 1 medium banana, mashed
  • 1/3 cup chocolate chips (this isn't in the original recipe but it "encourages" my youngest to eat these muffins...sigh)
*if you don't have buttermilk on hand, add 1.5 tsp of white vinegar to a measuring cup and add enough milk to measure 3/4 cup, let stand 5 minutes
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
  2. Lightly grease or add paper liners to a 12 cup muffin tin
  3. Combine the flours, rolled oats, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon in a large bowl
  4. In a separate bowl, combine buttermilk, oil, egg, honey and banana
  5. Add dry ingredients to wet and stir until just moistened
  6. Stir in chocolate chips if using
  7. Fill each muffin cup with enough batter to fill about 3/4 full
  8. Bake for 18 min or until firm to the touch

Enjoy!

Oh.  As for the other 98 baby books, my doctor told me that I wasted my money and that women were having babies at the sides of fields for thousands of years without books and were able to immediately go back to work...in the field...so I immediately wondered what women, in what field and how can I send them my books?....and then I asked to be referred to an OB/GYN.  The End.

xo

Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment