Ordinary life is extraordinary...you just have to know what you are looking for

Saturday, September 1, 2012

Zucchini and Potato Pancakes




The last time my Aunt and Uncle were over for a visit, my Uncle was having a walk down memory lane about the amazing potato pancakes my Grandmother used to make.  They were absolutely to die for!  Crispy and golden on the outside, warm and tender on the inside.  Served with a dollop of sour cream and sprinkled with fresh dill....I actually preferred them to her regular pancakes, and she could have won an award for those, so these were good, if you get my drift.  

As zucchini are plentiful this time of year, I love adding some shredded zucchini into the mix as it helps me forget that there are probably healthier ways to enjoy both zucchinis and potatoes in life but hey, who's counting?  I actually love zucchini and am constantly on the look-out for new ways to prepare it.

The key to getting these pancakes nice and crispy is to squeeze out most of the moisture.  When I started making these, the centers were mushy and I just couldn't seem to get my recipe right.  After a few failed attempts, I fessed up to my Grandmother that I was "adapting" her recipe and adding zucchini but clearly, I'm an idiot for trying to mess with perfection, and I was surely being punished.  She just laughed, said it was good to try new things and told me to squeeze 'em in a clean dish towel.  What?  That's it?  Oh.  Thanks.  The next thing I did was replace some of the flour with bread crumbs and that worked so I went with it.  I will admit that I do vary my recipe a bit, sometimes adding shredded onion into the batter and topping with dill (very similar to Grandma's) and sometimes, I add whatever bit of sharp tasting cheese I have left in the fridge, omit the onions in the batter, and top with sliced green onions.  This way my boys seem to like them better.  I think they are equally good variations.

Give 'em a whirl!
So these are good in a pancake?  Zu-cchini-me!  lol!  (Ryan didn't get my joke - "zu-cchini-me" - "You kidding me"....no?  Oh.  Sorry.)
Looks good, right?  Right!
Shredded potato with the skins!
Loooovvveee my Vitamix Dry blade!  Made easy work of fresh bread crumbs!!


Oh. Yeah.
(Cat-call whistle).  lol.  
Mmmm....
Zucchini and Potato Pancakes

  • 3 Med Zucchini, shredded and water squeezed out (I use a couple of clean dish towels)
  • 5 Large Potatoes, shredded and water squeezed out
  • 1/2 Cup fresh bread crumbs
  • 1 Cup Organic Unbleached Flour
  • 2 Large Eggs
  • 1 Cup Shredded Asiago cheese
  • Salt and Pepper
  • Oil for frying
  1. Combine all ingredients together in large bowl and mix well
  2. Coat bottom of pan with a thin layer of oil and heat over Med-High Heat
  3. Drop spoonfuls of batter into hot pan and press gently with back of spatula or spoon to flatten so the "pancake" has an even thickness all over
  4. Cook until browned and flip (the pancake, not you - that would be dangerous in the kitchen)
  5. Continue cooking until the pancake is golden brown on both sides
  6. Place on a paper towel to absorb any excess oil from 
  7. Serve with Sour Cream or Plain Yogurt and Sliced Green Onion
  8. Enjoy!
YUMMY!!
xo

Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment