Ordinary life is extraordinary...you just have to know what you are looking for

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Nut free Granola Bar

Ho Hum...

The house is super quiet.  Not really sure what happened!  One minute we are hustling and bustling from one summer activity to another, packing picnic lunches, going from pajamas to bathing suits and right back into pajamas without ever looking at the T-shirt drawer, to me sitting alone in my kitchen on my 3rd cup of coffee, waiting for my 2nd load of laundry to finish and counting down the minutes to when I can go pick up my children and find out how their day was.  For me, the first day of school is a brutal one.  I am so happy that they are excited and I can't wait for them to learn and grow throughout each school year, but after a summer full of constant hugs and "mommy"'s, I can't help but miss them.

Of course we are back into packing lunches and my challenge this year will be how I can replace our common lunch box go-to's with tasty, healthier versions of my kids' favourites.  I decided to start with the granola bar.


'Nut free' Banana, Seed and Honey Granola Bar

  • 2 cups Organic Rolled Oats
  • 1/2 cup Organic Coconut Palm Sugar
  • 1/4 cup Ground Flax Seed
  • 1/3 cup Organic Unsweetened Shredded Coconut
  • 1 cup Organic Whole Wheat Flour
  • 1 tsp Cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup Organic raisins (or dried cranberries)
  • 1/4 cup Chocolate Chips (or Carob)
  • 1/4 cup Unsalted, Raw Pumpkin Seeds, hulled
  • 1/4 cup, Unsalted, Raw Sunflower Seeds, hulled
  • 3/4 tsp Sea Salt
  • 1 Egg, beaten
  • 1/2 cup Raw Honey
  • 1/3 cup Melted Butter
  • 1 Ripe Banana, mashed
  • 2 tsp Real Vanilla Extract
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degree F
  2. In a large bowl, combine oats, palm sugar, ground flax, coconut, flour, cinnamon, raisins, chocolate chips, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and salt
  3. In a separate bowl, combine egg, honey, butter, banana and vanilla
  4. Add wet mixture to dry and mix until well combined
  5. Lightly grease a 9" x 13" cake pan
  6. Add granola mixture into greased pan and press flat
  7. Bake for approx 25 min (bars will still be slightly chewy)
  8. Remove from oven and cool in pan for 5 min
  9. While still warm, cut into desired size and let stand until completely cool
  10. Store in air tight container
  11. Enjoy!

 
 Wishing everyone a safe and enjoyable first day back to class!
 
xo
 
Jen

4 comments:

  1. Love this recipe - so easy and super yummy. Made it with my 5 year old son!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sent to school today in lunch box and note came home from teacher wanting recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete