Ordinary life is extraordinary...you just have to know what you are looking for

Sunday, July 29, 2012

Wholewheat Blueberry Pancakes - For Dinner. Oh Yeah!

Get 'em while they're hot!

We've clearly been stuck in a blueberry frenzy around here.  I hadn't planned for dinner tonight and when I asked what everyone "felt like", I got a resounding "PANCAKES"!  Oh yes, please!  

So good!  And in case you're wondering if I'd gone off my rocker and served up some weird neon yellow morsel to my cherished ones, you can relax and know that I still have most of my sanity.  That is actually some yellow-fleshed watermelon we got at the market last week.  It's incredibly sweet and colourful, and juicy...

You will note that I never use sugar in my pancake recipes.  We always have them with maple syrup or preserves of some kind and that gives enough sweetness right there.  My most fussy son has NEVER complained about the pancakes even though (gasp) they have no sugar in them - not that I mention that, of course.

Also, I always make a double batch, then freeze the extras for a busy morning or after school snack.  It's easy to pop 'em in the toaster and your family will think you're a whiz!  

Whole Wheat Blueberry Pancakes

  • 2 cups Organic Whole Wheat Flour
  • 2 tsp Baking Powder
  • 1 tsp Baking Soda
  • 1/2 tsp Salt
  • 2 Eggs, beaten
  • 2 1/4 cup Buttermilk*
  • 2 TBSP Butter, melted + more for the pan
  • 1 cup fresh or frozen Blueberries
*if you do not have buttermilk on hand you can add 1 tsp of white vinegar to a wet measuring cup and add enough milk to make 1 cup of liquid and let stand approx 5 min.  Makes 1 cup butter milk.
  1. Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together in a large bowl
  2. Mix eggs and buttermilk together in separate bowl
  3. Combine dry mixture to wet and stir until batter is well mixed
  4. Here, you can either add the blueberries to the mixture or put aside to drop into batter in pan while the pancakes are cooking
  5. Heat griddle or frying pan on med-high heat and brush with melted butter (this gives you the pretty finish on your flapjacks)
  6. Ladle or spoon in batter and add blueberries if this is the route you choose 
  7. Let cook until the batter begins to form bubbles and the edges start to brown (approx 2 min)
  8. Then FLIP and continue to cook for additional 2 min (approximate, you will have to test for done-ness)
  9. Serve with real Maple Syrup, spread with your favourite fruit preserves, or dust with a little icing sugar
  10. Enjoy!!
xo

Me

No comments:

Post a Comment