Ordinary life is extraordinary...you just have to know what you are looking for

Friday, August 3, 2012

Green Beans with Brown Butter and Pine Nuts

Fresh from a field just 10 minutes from our home!
I ate green beans a lot when I was a kid.  Funny though, how I don't make them that often now.  I love them but I guess I got the vibe from my family that they aren't their absolute favourite so I have been content to sneak them into soups and salads and serve them up for dinner only every once in a while.  If you have invited me to dinner over the past ten years and were offering these amazing vegetables, now you understand why I not only took two helpings but wrapped some in a napkin and stashed them in my purse when I thought you weren't looking.  The beans made me do it.

When I do decide it's been too long and whip up a batch, I have found a few recipes that tempt the rest of my gang into loading up their plates with them too.  Plain old steamed beans just don't cut it so a little extra effort goes a long way around my dinner table.  This is good because green beans are a rich source of dietary fibre, contain excellent levels of vitamin A, and are a great source of folates.  All great stuff!  They are also a good source of vitamin C, B6 and thiamin, and contain minerals like calcium, magnesium, iron and potassium.  Can you tell I have tried to "coax" my family into loving them as much as I do?

Butter.  'nough said.
Note the butter has turned from a bright yellow to a darker, golden colour.
Here come the pine nuts!  They are soooo good!
A little vinegar and water = steamy, steamy!
Season with Salt and Pepper.
Wow!  Green beans are exciting!

Green Beans with Brown Butter and Pine Nuts

  • 1 lb of fresh Green Beans
  • 2 TBSP of Butter
  • 1 good handful of Pine Nuts
  • 2 TBSP of Apple Cider Vinegar*
  • Sea Salt and fresh Ground Black Pepper
  • approx 1/4 cup of water
  1. Wash and trim green beans
  2. Place butter in a saute or saucepan and heat over medium heat
  3. After the butter begins to foam, begin to gently swirl the pan and watch the colour of the butter to begin turning a rich golden brown
  4. Add the pine nuts and stir until they are heated through and begin to lightly brown
  5. Add green beans, vinegar, salt, pepper and water
  6. Cover pan, lower heat and continue cooking until the beans are tender
*Please note that I sometimes omit/forget the vinegar and the beans are still totally delicious.  The vinegar just gives it a little something extra.  

Grilled steak, foil-wrapped potatoes with sour cream and fresh dill, and GREEN BEANS!  Big smiles around the table tonight.
xo

Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment