Ordinary life is extraordinary...you just have to know what you are looking for

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Corn Fritters

Ontario Sweet Corn!  Ontario Sweet Corn!  Hooray, Hoorah!  It's ready and available and I (clearly) love it!



When I was growing up, my grandparents always had rows of this delectable summer treat.  Everyday we visited, my sister and I would race to the field to check if it was ready.  At this point the corn took centre stage on our plates all harvest long.  Sometimes we would ask "what's for dinner?" and the answer was "Corn", so that's what we had.  Sometimes, after a meal of Pork chops and new potatoes and fresh leafy greens from the garden we would ask "what's for dessert?" and the answer was "Corn", and that's what we had and it was great.  But the best was near the end of the season when my grandpa would rig a HUGE pot of water over an open fire and cook the last of the crop and we had one big party.  My mom, aunt and grandma would be busy in the kitchen cutting the kernels off of the cobs and prepping them for the freezer and for canning and for corn relish.  I have great memories of that annual harvest event and when I see the first road-side stands put out their "Sweet Corn" signs, I am taken back to that place in my mind.

As corn is now in season, I decided to make up some corn fritters using a few cobs from the baker's dozen we bought the day before.  My grandmother made the best donuts...amazing how you can take a delicious sweet recipe and make a delicious savoury one.

Cut the corn off the cob...
Go in for the big whisk...
Now that's frothy!
That already looks good.
Answer your oldest what it is you are cooking because he just doesn't see how this will resemble a "donut-like" product.  Then explain why corn and onions will be just as good as the cinnamon sugar kind.  Put him in time-out for rolling his eyes.  Just kidding.   Call your husband at work and remind him that your children get all their bad habits from him.  Just kidding again.  Sort of.
Oh. Me.
Oh. My.
Corn Fritters


  • 11/4 cups All Purpose Flour
  • 2 tsp Baking Powder
  • 1/4 tsp Salt
  • 1 Egg, beaten
  • 3/4 cup Milk
  • 11/2 cups fresh Corn Kernals
  • 1 Green Onion, chopped fine
  •  Peanut or Vegetable Oil
  1. Whisk flour, baking powder and salt together in a large mixing bowl
  2. Beat egg in a separate bowl until frothy
  3. Add egg and milk into dry mixture
  4. Stir gently until mixed
  5. Fold in Corn and Onion, mix gently
  6. Heat a couple of inches of oil in a large pot on stovetop 
  7. Working in batches, drop tablespoons of batter into the hot oil
  8. Turn over when bottom is golden and cook until entire fritter is golden brown
  9. Drain on paper towels
  10. Enjoy

 xo

Jen

2 comments: