Ordinary life is extraordinary...you just have to know what you are looking for

Monday, August 20, 2012

Wheat Bran loaf w/ Honey, honey!


If you've never baked bread from scratch then you have sadly missed out.  Sorry to be so dramatic but hey, that's me.  Plus, I just really, really, really want you to experience all the wonders resulting from this beautiful craft.  The smell of yeast, the texture of the dough as it comes together, the little puffy mounds that begin to rise under your tea towel reminding you a little of Frankenstein - "it's alive!", you'll want to shout.  And finally, the unbelievable aroma filling your home as your loaves bake and the sound of the crust when you gently tap the finished product.  Wait - the taste!  How can I forget the taste?  It's just so much better than the stuff you buy in the bag at the grocery!  Now I am no bread "artisan" but after many years of kneading, I can work my way around a loaf or two.  I will say that bread baking requires a little practice but as with most things, the more you do it the better you get at it plus the kneading part is a great workout for your arm muscles and who couldn't use an extra workout here and there?  Especially if you're eating all of that bread!  Ha ha!

This is quick-rise yeast.  Looks normal enough...
Hey now!  What's going on?
A little luke-warm water really woke those babies up!
Whole wheat flour...so soft and flour-y?  I'm so descriptive, I know.
Wheat bran!
When I'm in the mood I do everything by hand but today I'm not in the mood so I decided to start with my trusty mixer.  It happens.
Pre-me-kneading.
Here we go.  Almost looks like a smile...
Dough is looking smooth and feels great!
Into a large, greased bowl to rise, baby, rise!
...1 hour later, after it's doubled in size you ....flatten it?  Yup!
And one becomes two...
Out comes my grandmother's rolling pin...not because it's a particularly good one but I love using it knowing that she used it to make all of my childhood favourites.
Rolling rectangles, batman!
Looks like a jelly roll!
Nip and tuck...it's not just a TV show, ya know!
Into a greased loaf pan for rise number 2.
IT'S ALIVE!  (See, I told ya you'd want to shout it)
After the second rise...
Looking like they want to jump in the oven.
Can you believe it?
Did I make that?
Two for the price of one!!  Oh yeah!
Now for the real test....sooooo good!
This is how we topped bread at my grandmother's house.  Fresh field tomatoes from the garden with salt, pepper and green onion!  Delicious!

Wheat Bran Loaf w/ Honey

  • 2 1/4 tsp Quick Rise Yeast
  • 2 1/2 cups luke-warm Water
  • 3 cups Organic Whole Wheat Flour
  • 2 - 2 1/2 cups Unbleached Bread Flour
  • 2 cups Organic Wheat Bran
  • 1/4 cup Honey
  • 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
  • 11/2 tsp salt
  • 2 Tbsp Milk
  1. Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup of luke warm water and let stand for 4 - 5 minutes, until bubbles begin to rise
  2. In a large bowl, combine the whole-wheat flour, 1 cup of bread flour, bran and salt
  3. Add remaining 2 cups of water, yeast mixture, honey and oil, and stir adding enough of the remaining bread flour to form a soft dough that's not too sticky and holds it's shape
  4. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and begin kneading by hand adding more flour as necessary until dough is smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes
  5. Place ball of dough into a clean, greased bowl and turn to grease the whole ball
  6. Cover with a clean tea-towel and place in a warm, draft-free place to rise until doubled in size, about 50-60 minutes
  7. Once risen, turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and press flat
  8. Cut dough into two equal halves
  9. Roll out each half into a rectangle, using a rolling pin
  10. Roll each rectangle jelly-roll style, stretch and fold under ends, and pinch seams
  11. Place each loaf into a greased loaf pan, seam-side down
  12. Cover with a tea towel and place in a warm, draft-free place to rise again until doubled in size, about 50-60 minutes
  13. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
  14. Using hands or pastry brush, glaze each loaf with 1 Tbsp milk 
  15. Bake approx 35 min until loaves are well browned and sound hollow when tapped on the bottom
  16. Cool on wire rack

I am certain you need to knead!  Have fun and enjoy!

xo

Jen


2 comments:

  1. Is this gluten free???? LOL!!!! Looks amazing...makes me crave wheat!!!!

    ReplyDelete